Sclerotherapy is often performed to improve the appearance of varicose and spider veins. The procedure can also calm health-related vein symptoms such as:
- Night cramps
But there are a few more facts to know in terms of what to expect before and after the procedure.
What to expect before sclerotherapy
The first step is a thorough evaluation with a vein specialist. At Carolina Vein Specialists, our experienced physicians will examine the involved veins, review your medical history and perform a thorough examination of your legs. Other things to keep in mind include:
- If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding – Your doctor will recommend waiting to have sclerotherapy done.
- 24 hours before the procedure – Don’t shave or apply lotion to your legs. Wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment.
What to expect after sclerotherapy treatment
After the procedure, you should be able to get up and walk around. Walking and moving your legs is important to prevent the formation of blood clots. Other things to note:
- Compression stockings – You’ll likely be asked to wear them for a period of time to maintain compression on the treated veins.
- Normal activities – You should be able to return to them the same day. Your doctor will likely advise you to avoid strenuous exercise for two weeks after the procedure.
- Sun exposure – Avoid sun exposure to the treated areas for two weeks. Sclerotherapy injections cause some inflammation. That, combined with sun exposure, can lead to dark spots on your skin, especially if you already have a dark skin tone.
Trusted sclerotherapy treatment in the North Carolina Triad
At Carolina Vein Specialists, we are proud to be a leader in providing leading-edge spider vein treatment in Greensboro & Winston-Salem. Serving central North Carolina and southern Virginia, our team of vein specialists performs the very latest minimally invasive treatments; producing optimal results for thousands of people just like you. Come experience our “patient-first” approach to see how we can help you achieve your goals, from treatment to complete after-care.