Varicose veins are one of the most common vascular conditions. In fact, between 30 to 60% of adults will experience them in their lifetime. If you or a loved one is living with varicose veins, you’re not alone.
With different risk factors, from genetics to lifestyle choices, it can be hard to pinpoint what is causing your varicose veins. Regardless of the cause, common symptoms, such as unrelenting pain, heaviness, and discomfort in the lower legs, can have a negative effect on your daily life.
The good news is that compression stockings for varicose veins are a great solution to relieve pain and increase circulation. They’re also a great option to aid in the healing process after varicose vein treatment.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of varicose veins, you may want to consider investing in a few pairs of compression stockings to wear regularly. They’ll improve blood flow and symptom severity.
Let’s discuss the benefits of compression stockings for varicose veins in further detail.
First, What Are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are twisted blood vessels visible on the skin’s surface. They may be red, purple, or blue and most often appear on the legs, feet, or ankles.
- An achy or heavy feeling in the legs
- Muscle cramps and swelling throughout the lower legs
- Pain after sitting or standing for an extended period
- Skin color changes
If you’re experiencing any of the above symptoms regularly, compression stockings can help.
What Are Compression Stockings?
Compression stockings, or socks, are a form of medical-grade hosiery that aids in the prevention or escalation of vascular-related health conditions such as varicose veins, edema, and thrombosis.
Compression stockings generally come in three standard types:
- Graduated compression stockings: As its name suggests, the compression in these stockings gradually changes from bottom to top. Compression is strongest at the ankle and decreases as it moves toward the knee. Because of their personalized nature, they are often directly prescribed by your doctor and must be custom fit to you before wearing.
- Anti-embolism stockings: This type of stocking is similar to the graduated compression stocking but explicitly created for those who are not mobile. The compression decreases from the ankle upwards and requires professional fitting.
- Nonmedical support hosiery: This compression stocking can be found at pharmacies and medical supply stores without needing a prescription. Support hosiery offers the same compression level throughout the stocking and helps relieve symptoms such as aching, heaviness, and tired legs.
It is important to note that graduated compression stockings come in different compression strengths, sizes, and lengths, from ankle height to thigh highs. It is best to work with your doctor to determine the exact compression, fit, and style for your specific varicose vein needs.
The Benefits of Compression Stockings for Varicose Veins
There are many benefits to wearing compression stockings for varicose veins.
The most prominent benefits include the following:
- Increasing circulation in your lower legs and thighs
- Decreasing swelling throughout the legs and ankles
- Improving lymphatic drainage
- Preventing blood from pooling in the varicose veins
- Slowing the progression of active varicose veins
- Helping to prevent new varicose veins from forming
- Preventing deep vein thrombosis in the legs
- Preventing venous ulcers
- Reducing pain, achiness, and tiredness related to varicose veins
After varicose vein treatment, compression stockings help alleviate pain, promote healing, and reduce the appearance of the treated varicose veins as they begin to diminish below the skin’s surface.
Along with the multitude of benefits for varicose veins, compression stockings are a wonderful everyday option for athletes, pregnant women, people who sit or stand for long periods, or those who frequently fly on long flights, as they help promote optimal circulation throughout the body during wear.
Minimally Invasive Varicose Vein Treatment in North Carolina
If you’ve recently developed varicose veins, have been living with them for a while, or are experiencing worsening symptoms affecting your daily life, we are here to help by offering effective and minimally invasive varicose vein treatment. Our vein care specialists are experts in the most advanced vein care procedures and treatment options. Let’s add compression stockings and vein care to your treatment plan today. Call 336-536-6522 to schedule a consultation today.