Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLT) is an effective outpatient treatment for varicose veins. Using ultrasound to see the problem veins under the surface, a thin, laser fiber is guided into the vein through a tiny opening in the skin. Laser energy is delivered through the fiber to the inside of a diseased vein wall. This causes the vein to close and eliminates “reflux” (backflow pressure) to the varicose vein at its source. Drs. Greenberg and Featherston have successfully completed thousands of EVLT procedures. The procedure has the benefit of:
- Relieving varicose vein symptoms
- Avoiding hospitalization — it can be done in the office
- Necessitating little downtime, allowing immediate walking and a return to most activities
- Requiring only local or regional anesthesia (numbing) on the leg, without needing the patient to be asleep
- Resulting in little or no scarring — no stitches or staples
- Being covered by most insurance plans.